Thursday, April 10, 2008

Still Going Green….

I recently started “Going Green’’ I took upon myself many little things like1) instead of using napkins to wipe my hands I use towels. I have started doing that and I feel a lot better. 2) I am still looking for a glass bottle to fill up water, maybe Dr. Smith can tell me where to buy a glass bottle like the one he has.3) I try not to throw out paper unless I can make some use of it at first, and then only when I am done then I throw it out. 4) I use to leave lights on all the time now I go around the house to shut off any lights that are not in use. 5) I will take a lot of time but I slowly started using less meat when I cook for dinner not because I want to be a vegetarian, but when I read a statistic on treehugger.com it said that you save a lot of water from not eating a pound of meat per day than to not shower a whole year, and then it said that people who eat meat use up 4,000 gallons of water per day unlike a vegetarian who only uses 300 gallon of water per day. This statistic was pretty scary so I decided to loosen up on the meat not off course completely but to start a little bit so I can save my planet. I have a question I hope Dr. Smith can answer it or anyone in the class. So like I said I took upon myself to not waste paper so what happens when I am at the train station and the workers give out a Metro does that consider wasting paper because in the end it will end up in the trash weather I read it or not. I take the paper from them in order to be nice. I feel that anyways all the left over paper will go to the trash and I don’t always have the time to catch the news online, so am I contributing to the paper waste????? SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER. 6) I also make sure not to allow the water to run for no reason so if I am brushing my teeth I will turn the faucet off when not in use or even in my kitchen when I am cooking, and I feel I may need the water but not right this second I will turn it off (even thought it takes a little effort to turn it back on.) what I use to do was when I use to cook is to occasionally leave the water on so when I need to rinse vegetables for cooking or to make a salad I automatically had the water on so I rinse…..boom in the pot or on the plate. Well apparently that was not helping to save the planet instead killing it, so it’s great that I made the switch because a little bit goes a long way.

2 comments:

C. Jason Smith said...

Ah, The Metro. Yes, it is paper waste, but it is hard to give up. I am trying to remember to carry a book I want to read (less paper waste over time) and when I DO pick up a Metro, I try and remember to tak it home and put it in our paper recycling bin and NOT dump it in the trash.

Metro is also available via email--or, so I hear.

Zinaida's-blog. said...

thank you Dr. Smith!!!!