Friday, March 28, 2008

American Museum of Natural History

The trip to the museum was both educational and rewarding. I took many pictures as you can see to your right. My group partners were Ana, Brandon, and myself. We started our journey to the African animals and finished off by the Gottesman hall of planet earth doing our research work. I saw the Asian mammals which included the Indian lion, black buck, axis deer, bird named Indian roller, etc. I also saw a Japanese home that was made up of paper, wood, and bamboo, and a Korean home that had a scholars studio and a women doing her bidding. I also saw the Ainu people that had women’s lips tabooed blue to protect them from bad spirits and to show they are of marriageable age to get married. Our last stop was to the Gottesman hall of planet earth where we answered our student field journal handout given by Dr. Smith. I learned what causes climate and climate change and some are, the green house gases which consist of four different gases: nitrogen and oxygen, water vapor, carbon dioxide, and methane. Water vapor it’s the most importuned one of the green house gases without it the earth’s temperature would be below freezing with it the planet is warm enough to support life. I took a picture of the diagram at the right that shows how green house gases help warm the atmosphere. I also saw read about the tree rings and the thick ring means that it shows rapid growth during warm wet years, thin ring shows slow growth indicating cold dry years, and the single tree records only local climate. I have a picture of the diagram on tree rings at the right. Since carbon dioxide is a green house gas it has been responsible for the warming, and I took a picture of the graph you can see it at the right and it shows that in the year 1850 industrial revolution started and that effected the temperature rise and by 1970 it’s already more than 350 parts per million atmospheric carbon dioxide. These are some of the information I picked up at the Gottesman hall. I have seen the film, An inconvenient truth by Al Gore and went to the museum and I find the museum to be more believable when it comes to Global warming because the film gave me a visual experience, however the museum gave me a hands on experience where I had to do some of the research on my own, and do a self analysis on the information that was provided to me at the museum. I was also able to see at the museum how nature can be transformed to media and that is when I saw the African and Asian mammals they were visual I was able to see them and we also saw a film on different tribes and what survival techniques they used that was media to me because it transformed their habitation and their way of life to visual film and audio and this is how their way of life was communicated to me. When i went to the Asian and African mammals I saw the way humans took what was once real and made it into a glass wall of different animals in their environment this is the way humans denaturalize nature ,but at the same time were capable of making the landscapes and the animal homes look very real , and even figures of the animals was portrayed very real to me and this is the way humans renaturalize nature.

6 comments:

C. Jason Smith said...

Now, that IS a lot of photos! Are there any from the Earth room?

noel said...

Great pics. I had know idea the razor phone was this good at pictures.

Zinaida's-blog. said...

sure is Noal. YOu never know until you try something.

Brandon said...

You did a splendid job of summarizing everything you witnessed at each exhibit we toured, Zina. Good work.

Ana said...

Good Job Zina! even though the Museum really is more believable,I learned more with the film. Museums can be exhausting! There's just too much to look at; I can concentrate better with only one screen in front of me.

Zinaida's-blog. said...

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/02/how-to-green-your-sex-life.php