Monday, May 12, 2008

The New York Public Library

For the Performing Arts.

I had a really nice time. Ana, Brandon, and I started our tour of the library on the first floor. The first floor had all types of films and DVDs. The types of films that I would like to see are: Legally Blond 2, since I saw the first one, Meet the Fockers, Maid in Manhattan, starting Jennifer Lopez. The film that I already saw was Double Indemnity at my American film class given by Prof Rheuban, and I also happen to see it right here at the library, though I already knew that they have copies of all the movies. I guess I like the sappy, romantic, comedy films that are just for the sake of entertainment not for an educational purpose. On the second floor they had different types of books. The books that I would like to read are: The Power of the Actor by, Ivana Chubbuck. Producing for Hollywood by, Mason Gold, Cinema Stylists by, john Belton, An American Daughter by, Wendy Wasserstein, The Leading Man of MGM by Jane Ellen Wayne, and the last one is The Greatest Jewish Movies by, Kathryn Bernheimer. The last stop was on the third floor which was the Music Division, and it had Archives of recorded sound. Brandon and I picked up some pamphlets on the way coming to the museum and leaving the third floor. I will scan some of them on my blog so you will understand what I am talking about it. The third floor was no interest for me because I don’t have an interest for sounds. The pamphlets that I picked up are: Directory & floor plan, Lincoln center calendar of events for May 2008, The New York public library for the Performing Arts which discuss what each floor is, and the kind of services they offer. I also received pamphlets on recorded sound and music division which is on the third floor. The Lincoln center has more than 350,000 books, records, DVDs, videotapes, etc. which are all available for loan with an NYPL card. They also have more than nine million items relating to dance, music, theatre, and recorded sound for serious researchers and scholars. They also have more than 120 lab tops connected to the world wide web , 163 computers for public use, 203 seat in the auditorium, 450 public seats, 37,000 square feet facility, they also have an access to electronic database, full text electronic journals, and online services. I got all these facts on the pamphlet about Lincoln Center and what each floor is. To know more about the library hit the website on http://www.nypl.org/research/lpa/lpa.html. This will give you information on how to get there, calendar, schedule, services, internet resources, collections, and many more. I also sat down on the second floor and looked at a book that was about Marilyn Monroe, it had tons of pictures of her and her life, and this book was dedicated to her. The Lincoln Center was a nice experience to witness.

No comments: